Arroz Con Pollo
This super-popular Latin American one-pot meal is easy to make and has lots of deep flavor. Sazón is a spice mix that’s essential to the dish. You can either use your favorite store-bought brand, or make your own (see recipe here)—plus extra, for gifting!
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Large, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven with lid (not nonstick) Heatproof spatula or tongs
- Pat the chicken dry with the paper towels, then sprinkle both sides with the salt and pepper.
- Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium- high. When the skillet is hot (if you flick water on it, the water should dance and evaporate), add the chicken pieces, skin-side down. Cook until the bottom is browned and crispy, about 7 minutes.
- Turn the chicken pieces over with the spatula or tongs, and cook until the other side is browned and crispy, about 5 minutes longer. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the chicken pieces with the spatula or tongs and put them on the plate. Use the pot holders to pour all but 1 tablespoon or so of fat from the skillet (this is a job for an adult) into an empty can or container. Set the fat aside to cool, then throw it away.
- Put the skillet back on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When it is hot, add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is just golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and sazón and cook, stirring occasionally, until the edges of the rice are clear, about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high, add the chicken broth and tomatoes, and bring to a boil (you’ll know it’s boiling because you’ll see little bubbles breaking at the surface).
- Carefully return the chicken to the skillet, one piece at a time.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, cover the skillet, and cook until the chicken is fully cooked and the rice is tender but there is still some liquid left in the skillet, about 1 hour. Serve right away, giving each person a piece of chicken and some rice.
Try adding extra ingredients after the chicken is cooked:
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or at-leaf parsley leaves and tender stems
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas (no need to defrost)
- 2 tablespoons pitted and sliced green olives
- 2 jalapeño peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped or thinly sliced (if you like spicy)