Apple-icious Oat Bars
You've tried applesauce and apple pie, but we bet you've never tasted this yummy treat!
Sharp knife (adult needed)
2 mixing bowls
Square 8 x 8 inch baking pan: glass, ceramic or metal
Wooden or metal spoon or rubber spatula
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Turn the oven on and set the heat to 350 degrees.
- TO MAKE THE CRUST: Put the oats, flours, nuts, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl. Using your clean hands or a spoon, mix well. Add the butter and oil and mix again, until the topping is crumbly and looks like little pebbles. Pat down half of the crust mixture into the bottom of the baking pan. Leave the rest of the crust mixture in the bowl while you make the filling.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: Put the apples, cranberries, honey, and flour in a small bowl and mix well. Pour the apple mixture on top of the crust in the baking pan. Using the back of a spatula, press the mixture down until the top is flat and even.
- Top the apple mixture with the topping left from the bowl and pat it down.
- When the oven temperature has reached 350 degrees, put the baking pan in the oven and bake until the top of the apple mixture is lightly browned and the apples are soft, 40-45 minutes.