All Kale Caesar
All Kale Caesar
The hearty texture of kale adds a new dimension to the classic Caesar salad, which is usually made with romaine lettuce. You’ll have plenty of dressing left over for more salads, since you won’t use it all. And if you’re worrying about those anchovies, don’t! You’ll hardly notice they’re in there (unless you want to). If you don’t have anchovies, we’ve found that a splash of Asian fish sauce works well too.
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Blender or food processor (adult needed)
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Large mixing bowl
- Lidded container
- Tongs or salad servers
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups kale leaves, stripped off of their stems
- 1 cup croutons
- Make the dressing: Put the garlic cloves, anchovies, mustard, and lemon juice in the blender or food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until thoroughly combined. While the machine is running, very, very gradually add the olive oil through the feed tube, at first 1 tablespoon at a time, then gradually increasing the amount until you’ve added it all. Add the salt and add pepper to taste. Use right away, or pour into the container, cover, and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
- Stack and bunch the kale leaves together on the cutting board and use the knife to cut across the stack so that you end up with skinny slivers of kale.
- Put the kale, croutons, and cheese in the bowl and drizzle with about a quarter of the dressing. Toss (“toss” means to mix together lightly) and taste the salad and add more dressing if it needs it, then toss again.
KITCHEN SKILL: stripping kale leaves off of the stems Strip the ruffly leaves off of the kale's stems by grasping the bottom of each stem and pulling your hand up along it, stripping off the leaf part and leaving behind the tough stem, which you can compost or throw out. OR ELSE No food processor? No problem! Finely mince the garlic and anchovies with a sharp knife, then shake the dressing ingredients together in a lidded jar. FANCY THAT! Add grilled salmon, chicken, or tofu to make this side dish a main meal.