Here at ChopChop, we celebrate healthy and delicious food everyday. We love when there’s even more reason to celebrate, with a wacky, fun food holiday. May has many food holidays and ChopChop will be celebrating all month long. We’ll be giving you ideas on ways to celebrate with us and of course, some recipes to try with your family!
May 29 is National Biscuit Day. Our Crazy-Good Buttermilk Biscuits take only 30 minutes and are a great side to dinner. These biscuits bake up puffy, flaky, and wonderful.
CRAZY-GOOD BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
HANDS-ON TIME: 30 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
MAKES: 12 SERVINGS
Large cookie sheet
Round cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, or drinking glass
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into small pieces
1 cup buttermilk
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
1. Grease the cookie sheet by rubbing it with oil or butter, and set the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Put the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix them with the fork.
3. Put the butter pieces in the bowl, and toss them around gently to coat them with the flour mixture. Now use your fingertips to rub the butter into the dry ingredients: you’ll be lifting handfuls of the mixture up out of the bowl, then gently letting it fall through your fingertips as you rub it lightly together. Eventually, you’ll have a bowl full of lumpy sandy stuff, which is what you want.
4. Add the buttermilk and stir in with the fork until the mixture is evenly moistened.
5. Sprinkle a little flour on a clean counter or cutting board and dump the dough lumps onto it, then use your hands to gently press it all together. Pat the dough into a circle that’s about ¾ inch thick. Now press a cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, or drinking glass down into your dough to cut your biscuits, laying them on the cookie sheet as you go.
6. When you’ve cut as many biscuits as you can, pat together another circle with the dough scraps, then cut out the rest of the biscuits.
7. Put the cookie sheet in the oven and bake the biscuits until they are golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
8. Use the potholder to remove the baking pan from the oven. Serve the biscuits hot, warm, or at room temperature.