Happy April Fools Day! Trick your family with this Tofu Scramble. It looks just like scrambled eggs and tastes just as delicious! This scramble is a veggie-loaded stirfry of crumbled tofu with a little garlic and curry powder for flavor, and turmeric (or yellow mustard) for color. Try adding different veggies you like: mushrooms and onions, bell peppers, broccoli, whatever appeals. Just make sure they’re cooked to your liking before you add the tofu.
HANDS-ON TIME: 20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 20 MINUTES
MAKES: 3 SERVINGS
Paper towels or clean dish towel
Sharp knife (adult needed)
1⁄2 block extra-firm tofu
2 teaspoons canola, olive, or vegetable oil
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced, or put through a garlic press
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric or 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
1 large handful spinach (unless it’s bagged baby spinach, wash very well, since spinach can be so gritty)
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
1. Take the tofu out of its container (you may need help cutting around the plastic first) and cut the block in half (keep the other half in a container of water in the refrigerator and use it within a couple of days).
2. Hold the tofu over the sink and squeeze it gently to get some of the water out, but without crumbling it into the sink. Crumble it into a bowl with your clean fingers.
3. Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high. When it is hot, add the oil and the carrots, and cook until the carrots are starting to brown and soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until you can really smell it, about 1 minute.
4. Add the crumbled tofu and, using the spatula, stir it around. Keep stirring it as it cooks. It might start to get hot pretty quickly, but it might give up a lot of liquid first, and you’ll need to cook it until it looks dry.
5. Add the soy sauce, turmeric or mustard, and curry powder, and stir with the spatula until it looks evenly mixed.
6. Add the spinach and cook, stirring with the spatula, just until the spinach looks dark and wilted, about 1 minute. Serve right away.